Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Help! My house is being overtaken by my daughter's drawings!

Recently, my daughter has become obsessed with drawing and coloring. When she wakes up in the morning, she stumbles to the table and begins to draw. She pauses briefly to eat and dress and then resumes coloring until I pry her from the table and being the mean mother that I am, force her to go to school. When I return to the house after dropping her off, there is a sea of paper, crayons, pencils everywhere. So I go to clean up and am met with a giant dillema. What to throw out. She's quite a good artist and they are so colorful and I'm sure, dripping with meaning and insight into her psyche, and she's my oldest after all. I feel terrible throwing them out so the result is stacks and stacks of drawings in little piles all over the house, filling up boxes and bags, covering surfaces everywhere. When she comes home, she will most probably forget about the earlier drawings as she hastily prepares the next five hundred but it's the "what if". What if she comes and asks me where that drawing of her and her friend are flying over a rainbow? Or even more significant, where is the drawing about the Parsha where Yaakov is playing jumprope with Esav? So I keep them. All. Including the stream of pages that come out of her schoolbag on Friday afternoon (yes, I must (get to?!) stop cooking for half an hour to attend to the artwork).

One of the most challenging parts of the drawing epidemic is when she shows me the picture and waits for my comment. I learned that I'm supposed to be specific and notice details so I scrutitnize and analyze every single piece and part. I note how purple the boy's hands are, how many stripes the skirt has and I do this over and over, hundreds of times every single day. To the person who taught me this crucial parenting rule: Must I do this EVERY SINGLE TIME? May I not say just once "wow, great drawing!" and move on. And please, while you're at it, please give me permission to throw some out so the guilt doesn't eat me alive.

My plan is to have her pick the ones she wants to keep but we've procrastinated for so long that it will take us three straight week with no sleep or food to get through the thousands we've accumulated. Maybe by then she'll be done with drawing and then I'll miss it and beg her to draw me just one more picture for me to keep forever.




7 comments:

  1. Amazing! It might be worth it to keep, for when she's a famous, millionaire artist, you could sell the earlier pictures...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Children's artwork taped to the walls and "magneted" to the fridge-front? Create a computer file for each kid. Scan their artwork and save them forever! The kids'll love to have their very own creative folders on the computer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol! i;m sorry if you are noticing too many details :) its so good for her!! we have a policy, anything left lying around means they don't really want it and it goes in the garbage. .. saves alot of headache, makes the kids kinda little responsible for their stuff...

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg it's so adorable!! I saw a heart in the first picture, please keep that one.. Do you still have the art?? Get a giant frame (I think 20$) in ikea and give them to me and I'll put them in there and make something nice out of it for her wall (she'll come over here Sunday morning and we'll paint and arrange it together), you can change it every few weeks/months :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can stack it with Zvi's priceless Z&K collection... Or those mystery cartoons...

    Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh wow, just found this blog and my 5 (and 4) year old is exactly the same! And I look at this one, and think, oh, it's really pretty good, I should keep it, except that there are 500 more EXACTLY like it - his favourite story is Noah and the Ark, and he has been drawing it for the last 3 years! But then this one has the giraffe bending his neck to eat from Noah's hand, so how can I throw it out???
    Have finally given him a drawer in the filing cabinet for his STUFF, which he very proudly labeled with his name ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I take pictures of my daughters artwork and after ive got a whole bunch put them in a photobook. Its a little investment but we save every drawing that way!

    ReplyDelete